From: "Carolyn Selby"
Subject: Notes form commissioner's meeting
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 09:21:40 -0400
What: (Meeting Name): Lowndes County Comissioners Meeting
When: (Meeting Date / Time): Tuesday April 14, 2009 5:30pm
Where: (Location of meeting)
325 West Savannah Ave.
Who: (Who were officials there)
Chairman: Ashley Paulk
District 1 Commissioner: Joyce Evans
District 2 Commissioner: Richard Lee
District 3 Commissioner: G. Robert Carter
(Who were other staff / speakers there)
(Who or how many other attendees were there)
How: (Meeting Notes:)
Call to Order
In the call to order, Commissioner Paulk presented his condolences to Robert
Carter on the passing of his wife last week.
Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
Minutes for Approval
Work Session March 23, 2009
Regular Session March 24, 2009
The minutes from the work session and Regular session were approved.
- Government Finance Officers Association Award Presented to Stephanie Black
3rd year in a row that she has rec'd it.
- Citizens Wishing to be Heard Please State Name And Address
There were several people concerned with
heavy traffic because of James Road construction and a request for speed
limit to be lowered to 25mph and slow down signs & a request to have the
speed limit monitored and enforced. A petition with 66 signatures was
presented. Mike Fletcher was to look at the situation and see if they can
reduce the spped limit to 25 (Wanna Bet? )
Retha McNeal presented a petition asking for the sewer and water taps to be
run at county expense, instead of the owners having to pay for them (this is
only on one side of the road). The county will investigate.
John Robinson of Lake Park requested the creation of a data base to make
small business owners aware of the jobs being put out for bids (lawnmowing,
- For Consideration
- Approval of Surplus Items from 911
some to be disposed of At Sams Parking lot on May 23 (computer items )
- 2009 CHIP Grant Administrative Services Contract with Varnadoe & Associates, Inc.
- Approval of Annual Maintenance Contract for 911
$45,206 for computer services.
- Contract with GA Department of Transportation for Off System Action Program
Striping of Old State, ValDel & Hickory Grove roads.
- HVAC and Security System for the Governmental Building
- Oil Products for Public Works Shop
- County Manager
Guest Road,(Mr. Webb & Mr. Davis): when the
commissioners agreed to relocate the road & pave- moving the utility lines &
poles were not included. The utility companies, Bellsouth, Colquitt
Electric, and Ga. Power need $40,000 to move the power poles.
There was no mention of the $40,000.00 allocation in the newspaper's report,
and Dickie Lee was very sharp in his questions of why this got overlooked by
The commissioners agreed to paying them.
- MPO Transit Plan Presentation: Work Session Only
- Keep Lowndes/Valdosta Beautiful Update: Work Session Only